Monday, March 15, 2010

Kimberley States

First off I would like to thank Ms States for coming to the NEIU to tell our class her life story. I agree with Kim about the current system of our society and how it doesn't rehabilitate it imprisoned and mistreats. All the issues Kimberley mentioned to us that she had was not properly treated. What was kind of interesting was the last time she spoke she mentioned how she was refused by Grace House which is the placed that state that they take in everyone that want to work toward change. The philosophy of Grace House is to give everyone the change to turn their life around and never shut the door on hope. This bothered me because they didn't accept Kim and from the few times I have heard Kim testimonies it seem like she was sincere and serious about change in a positive pattern. I think Kim attitude and her relentless drive shape her to the person she is today, which is a advocating and representing the voices of the women that are incarcerated and formerly incarcerated.

I applaud Kim for her not giving up on herself after being a product of her environment and the prison systems. I think Kim change started when she admitted to herself that she need to change and that she was fed up with the prison life. I commend her drive and effort to advocate for women that faced the similar issues. The only problem I have with CLAIM is that is doesn't offer it service for the mother or guardian to be with her child if she committed a violent offense. I just think everyone situation is different and some mistakes will get weighed differently but my issue is what human is over another human, so who is we or me to judge on a type of offense someone commits decides whether or not that she will live with her child or children. I conclude to say and agree with Ms. Sates to create a society that equally distribute human rights to all and for the ones that make critical mistakes of putting someone else in danger then that individual should receive the proper treatment and have access to education and job skills to keep him/her current with the society technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment